If you have never come across a Top Ten Tuesday, it is a weekly feature hosted over on The Broke and The Bookish. They post a different top ten topic every week, it’s pretty awesome. All the cool kids are doing it.
I know that this was last week’s topic, but it was too fun for me not to do. I love secondary characters. Sometimes they are the reason I love a book. Sometimes they are the reason I love an author.
1. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. I never related to Harry. He was a 12 year old orphan boy who is treated like crap from his Aunt and Uncle and then finds out he is a wizard and subsequently ends up being The Chosen One. An intriguing lead, don’t get me wrong. But not someone I could relate too. A girl raised by loving parents, who loved to learn and read? There was my escape. I saw Harry through Hermione’s eyes. It would nice to get inside that head for once. Get on it Jo!
2. Simon Lewis from The Mortal Instruments. Wait, what’s this? I’M SO EXCITED.
3. Will Herondale from The Infernal Devices. Go ahead, argue with me that he was a main not a secondary. In the end I will win because I want what we all want. More Will Herondale.
4. Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter. The thing about the Harry Potter series is it is seven books from the same point of view. We never get to see inside of anyone else’s head. I would love to know more about Neville’s life. He is one of my favorite characters of all time.
5. All of the Marauders. Collectively or separately I don’t care. Everyone wants this. Everyone.
6. Cinna from The Hunger Games. Another person that I would love some backstory on.
7. Poppet and Widget from The Night Circus. Can you imagine the whimsy?
8. Vida from The Darkest Minds. I am about halfway through In the Afterlight right now and what I wouldn’t give to understand Vida a little bit better. She is so sassy and bitchy and I love it.
9. Haymitch from The Hunger Games. If Haymitch had his own book I probably couldn’t handle it. I still want it though.
10. Church from The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments, and I am sure a couple more to come. Come on. You know that cat has some stories.